Welcome to Kate Kelsen’s author website. Kate has been writing and publishing fiction stories since 2010. She takes a particular interest in exploring various human experiences and perspectives. Kate lives on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.
Having discovered a love of storytelling early in life, at twenty-one years of age Kate published her debut novel The Wilted Rose, a creative nonfiction novel inspired by the true story of a Brisbane family’s experience with mental illness during the 1960s. Kate has since gone on to publish more books and multiple short stories across various genres.
In her writing, Kate takes a particular interest in exploring various human experiences and perspectives. She predominantly writes crime and psychological suspense, often with a sprinkling of the supernatural. Kate is currently working on an Irish Noir novel series set in Galway. Outside of her writing, Kate is a professional hula-hooper. She has travelled solo to different destinations around Australia and overseas, including two trips to Ireland where her noir novel series is set.
Kate volunteers as President of the Gold Coast Writers Association.
Follow Kate’s BLOG.
You can BUY Kate’s books in paperback and ebook.
Award and Recognition
Kate has received recognition from writing awards and competitions around Australia, including:
- Reflections (Short Story): Finalist in the 2022 Wild Atlantic Writing Awards
- Kindred Counsel: Shortlisted for the 2022 SD Harvey Short Crime Story Award
- Ten of Swords: Winner of the 2022 GenreCon Short Story Competition
- Undetected, Published co-authored with Christine Betts. Rainforest Writers Retreat Anthology 2021 Anthologies are available on Amazon.
- Kate’s past recognitions include the Reader’s Digest 100 Word Short Story Competition. Grieve Writing Competition and Hunter Writers Centre Award